This whole food plant-based mashed potato bowl is super easy to make. It is so healthy because it is packed full of vegetables and smothered with yummy plant-based gravy!
This post contains affiliate links, clicking on them will not cost you anything extra, but does allow Stoney Acres to make a small commission on your purchase through the Amazon Affiliate Program
Mashed Potato Bowl
Since we have switched over from just real food to a whole food plant-based diet we have been trying to find new simple and easy recipes that our whole family will eat. This bowl does just that. It is easy to make and tastes so good. We don’t even hear complaints from the teens, they like it too. It is a great way to add mashed potatoes to our whole food plant-based lifestyle and it is so much healthier.
Healthier Mashed Potatoes
The mashed potatoes in this bowl are so much healthier because they don’t have dairy in them! Who knew you could go without the butter and dairy milk in mashed potatoes and not even notice! We just added oat milk to the potatoes and really they tasted the same. There are a lot fewer calories without the butter too so you can go ahead and have seconds. I don’t even feel guilty eating a second helping of these potatoes. I love it, even more, when we use the pesticide-free potatoes that we grow from our own garden! Check out this post on how to grow your own potatoes.
Dinner outside our home
One of the most difficult things that we are still struggling with by changing to a whole food plant-based diet is having dinner outside of our home. It is difficult because a lot of people don’t understand this eating lifestyle and so, for the most part, we eat dinner at home before we go to a get-together.
However, we are going to extended family for our Thanksgiving this year. This is hard when everyone else eats meat, dairy, eggs, and oil and we don’t. There is dairy in your average mashed potatoes and oil and eggs in rolls and a ton of other Thanksgiving dishes. We were having a hard time trying to figure out what to do. However, after making these mashed potato bowls, this solves our dilemma. We will just make these bowls earlier and bring them with us. We can then warm them up in the microwave and enjoy dinner with the rest of our extended family.
Mashed Potato Bowl Recipe
1 c. plant-based milk
2 c. frozen corn
1 bag frozen broccoli, cauliflower, & carrots
2 c. Mushrooms (optional)
1 can of chickpeas (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
Cut and cubed the potatoes. Add to a stockpot full of water. Bring to a boil and boil for 20 minutes or until done. Meanwhile, steam the corn and the other frozen vegetables until done. This recipe tastes really good with mushrooms so you can saute some mushrooms with water. When we took the pictures we didn’t have mushrooms so we just sauteed some chickpeas in water and they tasted really good also.
When the potatoes are done drain the water. Shake some salt and pepper on the potatoes. Using a potato masher mash the potatoes. Pour in some of the plant-based milk a little at a time and using an electric hand mixer, mix them up until you have nice fluffy potatoes.
4 C. Vegetable Broth
4 tablespoons Liquid Aminos
4 tablespoons tahini
½ c. Whole wheat flour
½ c. -¾ c. water
½ teaspoon of pepper
Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and mix well. Cook over medium heat until comes to a boil. Put the flour and water in a quick shaker and shake up well. Add the flour mixture to the boiling broth and stir constantly until smooth and thick.
Add all the ingredients to a bowl and pour gravy over it and enjoy this yummy hearty dinner!
We have been looking everywhere for big bowls that were made in the USA to put our lunch/dinners in. These 2 quart Corelle serving bowls are just the perfect size. We also found these 1 quart Fiesta bowls too and they work as well!
- 10-14 potatoes
- 1 c. plant-based oat milk
- 2 c. frozen corn
- 1 bag frozen broccoli, cauliflower, & carrots
- 2 c. Mushrooms (optional)
- 1 can of chickpeas (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Plant-Based Gravy
- 4 C. Vegetable Broth
- 4 tablespoons Liquid Aminos
- 4 tablespoons tahini
- ½ c. Whole wheat flour
- ½ c. -¾ c. water
- ½ teaspoon of pepper
- Cut and cubed the potatoes.
- Add to a stockpot full of water.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 20 minutes or until done.
- Meanwhile, steam the corn and the other frozen vegetables until done.
- This recipe tastes really good with mushrooms so you can saute some mushrooms with water.
- Saute the chickpeas in water
- When the potatoes are done drain the water.
- Using the potato masher mash the potatoes and using an electric mixer, mix them up.
- Shake some salt and pepper on the potatoes
- Pour in the plant-based milk a little at a time until you have nice fluffy potatoes.
- Gravy Directions
- Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and mix well.
- Cook over medium heat until comes to a boil.
- Put the flour and water in a shaker and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture to the boiling broth
- Stir constantly until smooth and thick.
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and pour gravy over it and enjoy this yummy hearty dinner!